Fantom’s ‘Foundation Wallets’ drained for $550K

The exact cause relating to the compromised wallets remains unknown, though the company confirmed the funds lost by the employee are being “tracked and investigated”

article-image

Gorodenkoff/Shutterstock modified by Blockworks

share

The Fantom Foundation confirmed Tuesday that a “small number” of its wallets had been compromised, with losses amounting to roughly $550,000. 

Around 99% of the Foundation’s funds reportedly remain untouched and secure, the company said in a statement on X, formerly Twitter.

Based on those figures, the remainder of its $55 million treasury remains unaffected.

Preliminary investigations have brought to light possible vulnerabilities via a zero-day hack in Google Chrome. However, the exact cause and mechanism of the breach remain under scrutiny, Fantom said.

Blockworks has reached out for clarification but has so far received no response.

While the affected wallets bore the label “Foundation Wallets,” they had previously been transitioned away from organizational use. 

These wallets were under the management of a Fantom employee, suggesting a more targeted nature to the attack rather than a broad sweep, the company said.

“A Fantom employee’s personal wallets were compromised. Some of these impacted wallets were labeled “Foundation Wallets”, but they were no longer being utilized by the organization and had been reassigned to a Fantom employee, making this a targeted personal attack,” it said. 

Read more: Upbit updates cold wallet policy in bid to thwart hackers

While the Foundation’s attempted to demonstrate confidence in the safety of its primary funds, some eyebrows are being raised considering the targeted nature of the breach and the security of reassigning foundation wallets to employees. 

Reassigned wallets, especially those under the purview of employees, should ideally have rigorous security measures in place, prompting questions about internal security protocols.


Get the news in your inbox. Explore Blockworks newsletters:

  • Blockworks Daily: The newsletter that helps thousands of investors understand crypto and the markets, by Byron Gilliam.
  • Empire: Start your morning with the top news and analysis to inform your day in crypto.
  • Forward Guidance: Reporting and analysis on the growing intersection of crypto and macroeconomics, policy and finance.
  • 0xResearch: Alpha directly in your inbox. Market highlights, data, degen trade ideas, governance updates, token performance and more.
  • Lightspeed: Built for Solana investors, developers and community members. The latest from one of crypto’s hottest networks.
  • The Drop: For crypto collectors and traders, covering apps, games, memes and more.
  • Supply Shock: Tracking Bitcoin’s rise from internet plaything worth less than a penny to global phenomenon disrupting money as we know it.
Tags

Upcoming Events

Industry City | Brooklyn, NY

TUES - THURS, JUNE 24 - 26, 2025

Permissionless IV serves as the definitive gathering for crypto’s technical founders, developers, and builders to come together and create the future.If you’re ready to shape the future of crypto, Permissionless IV is where it happens.

Old Billingsgate

Mon - Wed, October 13 - 15, 2025

Blockworks’ Digital Asset Summit (DAS) will feature conversations between the builders, allocators, and legislators who will shape the trajectory of the digital asset ecosystem in the US and abroad.

recent research

Research

article-image

The platform also rolled out 13 tokenized funds for institutions on the Connect platform

article-image

The company’s expanded lineup introduces new ETF products, as more and more issuers get into crypto funds

article-image

President Donald Trump announced a 10% levy on almost all goods and additional tariffs on so-called “worst offending” countries

article-image

Solana may be in “recomposition” mode, as new protocols put usefulness ahead of mere virality

article-image

The stablecoin issuer will have to contend with bigger players and the interest rates environment

article-image

The president reportedly was still working on his tariff policy plans late Tuesday evening